Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Necessity: Invention

Antonio was practically on his way to the studio for our shoot when it occurred to me: he's driving here, and it's a day and a half after a monstrosity of a blizzard, and the streets are mostly unplowed, and there is absolutely no way he'll be able to park anywhere near here. So I decided to take a gamble and bring my light to his place, aware of the risk of shooting in an unfamiliar space. He was open to the idea of coming to get me (saving me the trouble of carrying the light there) so that was what we did.

I think it worked out. I still have a lot to learn about lighting in unfamiliar spaces, but for a purely improvisational shoot, I'm pleased with the results. They have a graininess to them that adds to the moodiness of the shots I set up, or at least that's how I'm viewing them.


I expect to shoot Antonio again, in my studio this time now that the streets are cleared, hopefully this week.

These photos were taken Dec. 28, 2010.

No comments: