Friday, December 3, 2010

Revisiting Joe Y.

I think of Joe as the first, but he really wasn't, exactly. He wasn't the first person I'd photographed, for sure, even discounting self-portraits. He wasn't the first person I'd shot with my more professional camera, and he wasn't even the first person I'd asked to come over for a session once I'd decided to try taking this more seriously. Maybe I think of him as the first because he WAS the first person to actually accept my offer to be photographed, with my better camera, after I decided to try giving people photography a more dedicated focus.

Or maybe it was because it was with Joe that I began to find my voice.

I shot Joe twice. The first session, on April 28, 2009, I was really nervous, partially because of some very stressful things going on in other aspects of my life. I didn't shoot much that day. I got really sick a few days later -- again, stress-related -- but once I was better I immediately planned a second session. That one took place on May 8, 2009.

I was supposed to shoot with Joe again this past September in San Francisco, but we had a scheduling problem. I'm still hoping for the chance to shoot him again. We never really know what's going to come next.

I feel like part of my expression is not just the photo taking but how I filter them through Photoshop, so, a year and a half later I decided to re-process some of Joe's images and see what came out. These are the results. Some are not so different than what I had before, but others more strongly highlight the voice I was just beginning to uncover back then.




No comments: