Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Joe: Symbolic

I've already talked about the special place Joe holds for me, in respect to my photography, but I'll say it again in case you missed it last time. For years I only shot inanimate objects and self-portraits, and I'd convinced myself that shooting live people would be too difficult. Along the way I did shoot some people, but I never treated it very seriously. A few years ago I decided it was time to start trying to shoot people, to see if I could, and I emailed Joe -- who I barely knew at the time -- to see if he'd be interested. I thought it was a longshot, seeing as I had no portfolio to speak of, but he said yes, and after I shot him a word-of-mouth momentum immediately began building. So I feel a certain debt to Joe, and I was excited at the prospect of revisiting him as a model a few years later. It symbolized something to me: my progression as an artist and as a person. We shot together twice in February, revisiting some of the original locations and throwing in some new ones. Joe is a sweetheart and a friend and terribly photogenic.

These photos were taken on February 10th and 12th, 2010.

No comments: