Sunday, November 7, 2010

Joey: Studies

I had another photo shoot with Joey yesterday, the third one in as many weeks, and the second in the studio. As I've said before, the studio can be confining -- literally, it's a space that's about 12 x 8 feet -- but also creatively. How many shots can I take of the same person, or even a series of people, with a black backdrop and minimal props? Well I guess that's the question that I aim to answer.

With this shoot I started out very basic -- here, sit on this table in your underwear -- and some of those images may certainly prove as strong as the studio images we shot two weeks ago, but I also wanted to play with some ideas that I'd only touched on before. There's a drama to Joey, his body and his face, and I mean that in the best possible way, so, possibly somewhat inspired by seeing the more minimal shots I'd done of myself a decade ago, I thought it would be good to experiment with form. I've only begun to go through the pictures, and I think it's very possible that more interesting shots will follow. I always hope, anyway.


These photos were taken on Nov. 6, 2010. And to give credit where credit is due, the idea to shoot Joey from above, as I did in the last image, was his.

No comments: